I recently got a packet of Groundnuts from a Super Market. On saturday, I pressure cooked it with a little salt added. I removed the skin and neatly put a hand full of it in Joshua’s little plate. Joshua tasted each one of it with so much of curiosity and he loved it. Kids of this stage prefer finger foods and I observed that his intake was pretty good, rather than when being fed. I actually understood, he is no more a baby and that he has grown up and its high time that he needs his bit of freedom to decide on what and how to eat, as long as its health😉
Category Archives: Indian Baby food recipes
Getting babies exposed to vegetables increase the probability of them preferring vegetables in the future! Its rather important to introduce vegetables before fruits🙂 This mixed vegetable can be given with a lot of variations given below.
- Potato (half)
- Tomato (Quarter)
- Beans (2-3)
- Grated Carrots (1)
- Curry leaves.
- Clean the vegetables.
- In a Sauce pan, cook the vegetables in water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add Cinnamon for flavour.
- Puree the vegetables and serve warm
You can also add mashed peas, cabbage and Pepper.
Variety of fruits can be given to babies.
Apple Puree – Ingredients:
- Fuji Apple ( or any naturally sweet variety)
- Peel, core and chop the apples into fine pieces.
- Steam cook / bring it to boil with an inch of water.
- Puree the steamed apples and serve.
You can also combine pureed Banana, steamed and pureed Pears, Yoghurt, Avacado or any other fruit. (after the four day rule). Please avoid apple sauce if your baby constipates.
This is an excellent cure for diarrhoea.
- 2 – 4 tbsp Sago / Javvarisi / Sabudana
- 1 cup Milk
- Sugar to taste
- Cardomon Powder
- Clean the Sago in water and keep aside.
- Bring the milk to boil and add the Sago
- Cook for a few minutes until Sago looks sticky
- Add Sugar, Cardamom powder and raisins.
- Keep aside and serve warm.
It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates.
If diarrhoea still persists, please consult a Doctor.
1 cup Grated carrots
1 cup Milk
*1 tsp Ghee
*1 tsp Cardomon Powder
*1 tsp Soaked and ground Almond powder.
* – Optional
- Pressure cook the grated carrots with milk.
- Strain the milk and mash the cooked carrots finely.
- In a fry pan add a tsp of Ghee and mix the mashed carrots.
- Add the Strained milk to get a fine consistency.
- Add the Cardomon Powder and Almond powder.
- Serve when warm.
Nutritional Info :
Carrots are good source of Dietary fiber, Manganeese, Niacin, Pottassium, Thiamin,
I tried this today and Joshua loved it..🙂
- 3 tablespoon Semolina / Sooji
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 cup milk
- Cardamom Powder
- Sugar to taste.
- In a dry pan, roast the Semolina and then add a tsp of Ghee. (I add after roasting the Semolina to reduce the amount of Ghee used)
- Mix roasted Semolina with milk and make a paste with no lumps.
- Heat the remaining milk and add the paste along with sugar, raisins and cardamom powder.
- Serve when ready.
It is an excellent source of Carbohydrates and Proteins.
You can also add roasted Cashew and Almond powder to this if your baby is at least 9 month old.
Nendran Banana porridge is yet another tasty one!
- 2 – 3 Raw Nendran Bananas
- 1 cup Milk
Method – To prepare Nendran Banana Powder :
- Slice the raw Nendran Banana into fine pieces and dry it in shade until crispy.
- Grind the dried slices into fine powder.
- Store it in an airtight container.
Method – To prepare Porridge :
- Take 2 – 3 tablespoons of Banana Powder and mix it with equal quantity of milk. Ensure that there are no lumps.
- Heat the remaining milk and add the paste to it, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat when it mildly thickens.
Calcium, Chlorine, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganeese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Silica, Sodium, Sulphur.
In some babies, this might cause constipation. You are always the better Judge on whether to give this to your baby or not.